- 4 eggs
- 3 tbs brown sugar
- 3 tbs maple syrup
- 1 1/2 cups of coconut cream [see below]
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- pinch ground cloves
- 1 tbs rose water
You can buy this in a can or, as I prefer make it as follows. Put two cups of desiccated or shredded coconut in a saucepan, pour over 2 1/2 cups of milk and bring slowly to the boil. Cool, then blend in a blender until smooth. Pour and press, with the back of a spoon, through a strainer into a container [discard the coconut pulp into your compost].
Method - Coconut Custard
- Preheat oven to 150 C
- In a small saucepan heat and mix the brown sugar and maple syrup until the sugar is dissolved. Let cool.
- In a mixing bowl beat the eggs lightly
- Add all ingredients except the ground cloves and stir thoroughly
- Pour into four ramekins and sprinkle with ground cloves
- Place ramekins in a baking tray and half fill with water
- Bake until set ~ 1 1/2 hours
Note: I served each ramekin on a plate with stewed dried apricots on the side -- it was a great combination.