- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 Tbsp olive oil or butter
- ½ cup shredded carrot
- ½ cup shredded raw potato
- 1 small eggplant (1 pound), trimmed, pared, and shredded
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 kg lean beef mince
- 4 Tbsp lemon juice, divided in half
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled and finely diced (or use large can of 'petite' diced tomatoes,drained)
- 1½ cup fine dry bread GF bread crumbs
- 3 tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp pepper
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 2 Tbsp sugar
Sauté onion in oil or butter in a large skillet for 3 minutes until soft and somewhat golden. Remove from heat. Stir in carrot, potato, eggplant, & garlic, tossing to coat well. Cover, put back on heat and cook about 5 minutes, or until wilted but still crisp.
Combine meat, eggs, tomatoes, crumbs, salt, cinnamon, pepper, cayenne, 2 tablespoons lemon juice and cooked vegetables in a large bowl, mixing lightly by hand. Press firmly into a 9" x 5" x 3" loaf pan. turn out onto a lightly greased large shallow baking pan. (Loaf may also be shaped by hand directly on the baking pan.)
Bake at 180° C for 45 minutes. Mix remaining 2 Tablespoons lemon juice and sugar in a cup, stirring until sugar is dissolved. After the 45 minutes of baking, brush this mixture over the loaf.
Continue to bake 15 minutes longer, or until brown and glazed. Lift onto heated serving platter with 2 wide spatulas. Let sit several minutes before serving for easier slicing.