500gm chuck, blade or rump steak
1 ox kidney or 2 sheep kidneys
1 tbsp corn-based corn flour
1½ tsp salt
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
½ tsp dried herbs
½ cup water
Cut meat into cubes. Sprinkle with flour and seasonings. Put in saucepan and pour water over. Simmer over low heat for about 2 hours. Keep hot while preparing topping.
1 cup GF SR flour
½ tsp salt
2 eggs, separated
1 cup milk
2 oz butter, melted
- Sift flour and salt into basin and make a well in centre.
- Beat egg yolks and stir in milk.
- Pour into flour mixture.
- Add butter and stir until smooth.
- Beat egg whites until stiff and fold into mixture.
- Put hot steak and kidney into a basin.
- Hold a large cooking spoon over meat and gently pour sponge on to spoon so that topping spreads over steak and kidney.
- Put basin into steamer and place lid on saucepan.
- Bring water to a fast boil for about 20 minutes.
Instead of the steak & kidney mixture, this recipe works well if you substitute with the meat mixture for shepherd's pie