- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 500 gm smoked haddock or cod, skin removed and cut into 2 cm pieces
- 1 2/3 cups milk
- 1/2 tsp cracked pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- 20 gm butter or margarine
- 2 heaped tsps cornflour
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- Place onion over base of a large pan and arrange over onion.
- Blend milk, pepper and mustard: pour over fish. Bring slowly to the boil.
- Reduce heat to low, simmer covered for 5 minutes.
- Uncover and simmer for a further 5 minutes.
- Remove fish and onion, with a slotted spoon, to a serving dish & keep warm.
- Simmer mixture in pan, uncovered, for a further 5 minutes.
- Add butter/margarine to pan and stir until melted through.
- Mix cornflour in a cup in a little cold water until smooth, add to mixture in pan and whisk rapidly to avoid lumps. Stir until mixture thickens.
- Pour over haddock, grind some black pepper on top, & serve.
Suggestion: Serve with boiled jasmine rice and cooked broccoli.