Champ is an Irish dish of mashed potatoes with spring onions and goes down really well with sausages (Irish bankers & mash).
- 8 medium sized floury potatoes, such as desiree, peeled & quartered
- 6 large spring onions (shallots) - finely sliced
- 300 ml milk
- 75g butter
- salt & pepper
- Put potatoes in a large pot of cold, salted water and bring to the boil with a lid to partly cover. Simmer for 20-25 minutes until the potatoes are just soft.
- Drain the water, cover the pot and let it sit in a warm place for about three minutes, this will allow the potatoes to become soft and completely cooked.
- Wash and finely chop the spring onions. In a small saucepan put the milk and a good amount of butter (about 75g) bring to the boil.
- Put the chopped spring onions into the boiling milk, then remove from the heat and leave to infuse for about one minute.
- Mash the potatoes well and stir in the milk and onions until everything is smooth. season to taste and keep warm till you're ready to serve with sausages.